Saturday 16 August 2014

Inlays 3

I spent the past two weeks in Nova Scotia visiting family. I didn't get any work done on the guitar but I did borrow two tools while I was there. A rotary tool from my Dad and an air powered paint gun from my brother. Thanks !

I put the rotary tool to use today and carved out the first of 11 bat inlays. It went fairly well. I cut out a little more then needed as expected, but I'm sure there is some sort of wood filler I can fill in the gaps and stain later.

The rotary tool had a pen-like attachment that worked very well. I started off using a router style base but it was too clunky for this job and decided to free hand it instead.


Here is the 3rd fret inlay in place. You can see there are a few gaps. It looks worse in the picture because the reflection of the flash. The fret board is pretty dark normally and its hard to see the empty space. After I carve out the curve in the fret board I'll come back and put the inlays in permanently and fill the gaps.


Pretty smooth. Looks pretty cool I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment